If you missed the note, I’ve recently decided to do a 30 day paleo challenge! I will post the updates on Saturdays, mostly because I don’t want them to detract from my usual schedule on Tuesdays and Thursdays (and sometimes Sundays). Also not many people read blogs on Saturday, which is a perfect time to do more mundane ones like these.
ARE THE 30 DAYS OVER YET? Oh, it’s only been a week? I’ll go back to eating a side of air with my air.
I’m kidding. It’s actually not that bad but I think I have it a bit easier because I’ve already been gluten-free for a few months now. I have to be honest: the hardest part so far has been finding fridge space. Because I share with 3 other roommates, one of which has an on/off girlfriend, it can be hard when everything I eat has to fit on one shelf. Note: did you know unprocessed food takes up more space than processed food? Shocker.
- Anyways, so far I’m feeling good. My mood has been pretty stable and super peppy this week. I feel like I’m the energizer bunny at night when I should be getting ready for bed. But I really can’t tell if that’s just me cycling through a manic phase or if it’s because of paleo.
- It’s also been pretty hard to track my emotional state because I’m PMSing right now. Boop, there’s some information you can’t unsee, bahah!
- I tried my usual 2 intense ultimate frisbee games a week. Thought I was weaker on Wednesday, but that doesn’t really make sense because I started on Tuesday.
- I feel less bloated in general. And not the un-bloated you feel when you haven’t eaten in 10 hours, but how normal, healthy people supposedly feel all the time? I’m suspicious of that.
- How much more I eat | I know people on the paleo diet always talk about how much less they have to eat to feel full. That part is true. What surprised me was how quickly I ran through what I estimated would feed me for a week! I think it’s weird adjusting from having things you can pull out of the cupboards, like oatmeal and pasta, for when you have little produce on hand to suddenly only being able to eat meat and produce. I definitely underestimated my grocery list. Yesterday, I bought a bunch of spinach thinking it would last me about two meals. My mistake was putting it “temporarily” on my plate and seeing if leftovers came from it. There were no leftovers.
- How little I’ve needed to cheat | Of course, I thought I would have HARDCORE cravings for pizza, which I bought regularly every week. But I’m fine. I’ve been filling up my plates (see above with spinach example) with bacon and veggies and have been able to stave off the hunger that way. The first 3 days were a bit tough because I felt like no matter how much I ate, I kept getting hungry within a few hours.
- How less RAGING HUNGER I’ve felt | Before, I would oscillate between not hungry at all to RAVENOUSLY STARVING within 30 minutes. It was weird and I never really understood why that was. My only response from my 23 years has been to run to the nearest food and stuff my face with all my might, regardless of quality. But since going paleo(ish), I haven’t gotten to that point of hunger or, if I have, I see it coming 2 hours away. Maybe it’s because the food that I’m eating takes longer to process instead of the burns-hot-for-2-minutes potato chips?
Snapshots (which all look the same):
I’ve been reading online that the progress goes somewhat like this:
First week: Ok, this is fine, let’s see where this goes.
Second week & third week: Did someone kill me in my sleep without my knowing because I feel like a zombie.
Fourth week: Basically the paleo version of vegan superpowers from Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.
This process sucks for two reasons. One: That is more suffering than experiencing enlightenment. Two: I’m getting closer to the horrible parts.
But I just have to tell myself that the progress is similar for any type of lifestyle change I make—minus a lifestyle change in the wrong direction. It’ll probably feel great the first week and go downhill forever.
Anyways, here’s to miserable weeks #2 and #3! Wish me luck.
Have you ever tried going paleo? How did it turn out?